In developing the "RSS and Social Bookmarking" presentation with Alissa, I learned a great deal about RSS feeds for the very first time. For those students who may have missed our presentation, this post will explain what an RSS feed is and how to get one:
RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. An RSS "feed" is a website's way of alerting subscribers that a website has been updated - by feeding subscribers the latest updates that have occurred on the web site.
When you find an RSS feed you would like to subscribe to, you must first have a tool that can display the RSS feeds. These tools are often referred to as "News Aggregators", "RSS Readers" or "News Readers". There are an abundance of these tools online that are free, including "My Yahoo!". After you have created a reader account, such as My Yahoo!, to display the RSS feeds, you may then follow the instructions for adding a RSS feed to your My Yahoo! page. Updates to anything you have subscribed to will automatically now appear on your My Yahoo! page.
RSS is particularly convenient for the new teacher, who wants to utilize online teacher resources, yet is often too busy to visit the different websites containing such rescources. While she normally would have to proactively visit a site as updates occur, RSS feeds would notify her when a web site has been updated.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That was a great presentation on social networking =)
ReplyDeleteI had no idea what it was before you guys did your presentation. I like the idea that RSS feeds tell you when a website is updated. I like the idea of using RSS feeds to help go through the numerous online teacher resources that none of us have time to go through one by one.
I feel like if we can somehow incorporate that into our curriculum webs, our students would be alerted to when something changes to our website. But that may be too far reaching =)
I really liked this idea of an RSS feed. I find myself often going to the same websites multiple times to see if it has been updated. I feel like this would save a lot of time thinking about the websites. It would also be great to introduce to students, so that they can know when you update your own website, that way the students are not constantly going to your site to check if it was updated.
ReplyDelete